20 April 2011
Mellifont Rovers 1-18
St. Marys 4-5

A hot night and a hard pitch in Darver set the tone for the Mellifont rovers U14’s as they set out on their task to win the Division 1A feile against St Marys Ardee.
Having beaten the Marys in the first round the black and white’s started as firm favourites and the pressure seemed to get to them in the early stages with a Ryan Rooney goal from the follow up of an excellent Mark Lenehan penalty save.

The Ardee men striking first blood seemed to spark the Mellifont men into action, a driving force from the back The Carragher twins with the help of Patrick Taffe grabbed the game from the scruff of the neck and set the platform for many attacks settling the combination into the game. The scores then came in abundance from the ever present Aaron O’Brien keeping the scoreboard ticking throughout. Another fortunate Marys goal would not stop their flow and a fine Ben Watters goal really made the Collon Hunterstown lads believe they could do it.

After a couple of setbacks Mellifont held a commanding lead going in at the break with further scores from Keelan Evans and Killian Smith.
The second half was a tighter affair as the collon Hunterstown combination took their eyes off the prize slightly as the Marys worked their way back into the game with another goal. Trojan effort from John Mathews and Alex Marrnin at the back and Darren Kirk in the middle keep Mellifont in the lead with goalie Mark Lenehan and Jack Roddy solid throughout. This high octane game had a sting in the tail with the final kick of the ball 3 points ahead the Mellifont men conceded a controversial goal and confusion at the final whistle as the game had to be brought to extra time.

In Extra time Tommy Molloy was released from his defensive duties and took the game to the Marys as the Mellifont men started playing the better football again which typified their great character after everything the valiant Marys threw at the them. Like Jason Mckeown this team does not know when to give up! Sean Clarke and Dean Conlon came on to steady the ship up front and at the death Ryan Ward Kicked the insurance point to the relief and delight of all involved.

Mark Lenehan
Alex Marrnin ,Tommy Molloy, John Matthews
Patrick Taaffe, James Carraher(0-1), Alan Carraher
Darren Kirk, Ryan Ward (0-1)
Keelan Evans (0-1), Aaron O’brien (0-11), Jason Mckeown ,
Ben Watters (1-3), Jack Roddy , Killian Smith (0-1).

Sean Clarke, Nathan Murphy, Killian Hickey
Jack Dunne, Adam Thompson, Aaron McCabe,
Dean Conlon, Brendan Lacey, Robert Finnegan.

Captain James Caraher then collected the cup off fellow Collon man Sean Reid.